Tuesday, December 13, 2011

to belong to someone:

Today one of my students asked me, in the front of the whole class, and dead serious, if I could take him with me when I left on Thursday.

It just melts my heart. In the back of my head I second guess it and think it might be a little bit creepy & weird for a 17 year old boy to ask if I could bring him back to Bloomington with me. In my heart I know that inside that 17 year old body, tough and ragged from way too much hardship in his short life, is a child's heart. A heart that is longing to belong to someone.

He wasn't asking be if he could come back with me because he actually wanted to. He wanted me to tell him I care, I value him, I will miss him, he's important, and he (in a way) belongs to me and I (in a way) belong to him.

The relationship I have formed with my students is just that. I have grown so much as a teacher and a person from having the opportunity to teach them. A little part of me will always be in that door-less, run down classroom. At the same time, (I hope) I have made an impact on those students that is unique to who I am and how I loved on them.

I love the idea of belonging. It's so warm, comforting, natural. We were made to belong.

How cool is that!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awe Jamie, this is a very sweet post. I love your huge heart that you have for your students. It's so beautiful and so are you!

    ReplyDelete